How Long Do Mushrooms Last in the Fridge

Last Updated on September 9, 2021 by cmoarz

Mushrooms are great, but they’re hit and miss for a lot of people.

Personally, I’m a fungi freak, so I keep a carton on hand at all times. They’re delicious in salads, wraps, and sandwiches when uncooked. They may also be used to thicken omelets, soups, stews, and sauces for added body or sautéed in oil for flavor.

We can’t overlook the fact that mushrooms are a great pizza topping. They really bring the whole thing together!

Spoilage happens to the best of us. If you adore these delectably edible mushrooms as much as I do, you’ve undoubtedly encountered with the bane of all mushroom lovers: spoilt specimens. I quickly discovered that preserving mushrooms is a tough science when I was in my early twenties. Fortunately, the procedure isn’t difficult!

How Long Do Mushrooms Last in the Fridge?

Raw Mushrooms

Mushrooms may be kept in the refrigerator for seven to ten days if they are whole. Sliced mushrooms may be stored for four to seven days. To ensure maximum freshness, keep them in a sealable plastic or paper bag.

When storing mushrooms in the refrigerator, take care to remove them from their packaging. Paper bags are ideal; you may use as many as you need. The mushrooms will be able to breathe and won’t produce as much moisture this way. Picking mushrooms shortens their shelf life.

Cooked Mushrooms

Mushrooms that have been cooked and then stored in the refrigerator will last three to seven days. If you want to keep cooked mushrooms for longer than a week, it’s best to freeze them in a freezer-safe container. If they’re frozen after being defrosted, they’ll keep for up to eight months. Flavor will diminish over time if the mushrooms are not kept in an airtight container.

Dried Mushrooms

Mushrooms are delicious. They’re also an excellent source of protein, vitamin D3 (which you can’t get from food and is essential for absorption of calcium and maintaining healthy bones), riboflavin, niacin, thiamine, and folate. Fresh mushrooms have a short shelf life due to the fact that their flavor deteriorates.

Lukily, We can dry mushrooms and keep them in the pantry. This means you get the great taste of mushrooms without worrying about spoilage! Dried mushrooms have a shelf life of up to one year.

To dry your own, soak them in water for thirty minutes. Drain and allow them to air dry for a few hours until all of the moisture is gone. Preheat your oven to 160°C, or as low as your oven will go.

Lay the mushrooms out on a clean, dry baking sheet and place it in the oven for forty-five minutes. Keep a close eye on them! Drying time varies with each batch of mushrooms. Once they’re done baking, let them cool before you move on to step three: storage!

Dried mushrooms should be stored in an airtight container made from glass, metal, or ceramic glaze. Label everything clearly and try not to overfill the container; there should be some space between each of the mushrooms so that they can breathe properly without one another getting wet.

Health Benefits Of Mushrooms

Mushrooms are high in fiber, B vitamins, and antioxidants, as well as being a good source of vitamin D and protein. They’re also one of the few non-animal sources of vitamin D and protein accessible to us. Mushrooms are delicious, which is why there’s no such thing as too many mushroom!

Mushrooms are unique in that they require special knowledge in order to safely consume them. Edible mushrooms come in a variety of sorts, both nutritious and delicious. There are also harmful kinds of mushrooms that make people sick with nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Spoiled mushrooms are just as likely to make us ill as not eating them at all.

What Happens When Eating A Bad Mushroom

A “toxic” mushroom is one that has been gathered in the wild and contains a potentially deadly poisonous substance. A poisoned wild mushroom might cause everything from upset stomach to severe stomach distress. If you eat the notorious death cap mushroom, you can die as a result of mushroom poisoning if it isn’t treated. So, unless you’re a professional, the only way to be sure your mushrooms are absolutely safe is to eat those you buy at the market.

A poor mushroom would produce little more than stomach discomfort for most healthy individuals.

Nonetheless, we all desire to avoid getting sick, don’t we? To get the full benefits of mushrooms, you should eat them as soon as possible after they’ve gone bad. You should also make careful that they aren’t exposed to light or moisture. After purchasing your mushrooms today, store them in the refrigerator for the best results.

Best Way To Store Mushrooms

The greatest way to extend the life of your mushrooms is to keep them in ideal conditions. They should be kept in a cool, dry place, thus your refrigerator is the perfect home for fungus. Keep them out of the vegetable crisper; it can trap dampness and speed up mushroom spoiling. Mushrooms should also be avoided from spices since their permeable flesh absorbs odors and flavors.

Freezing Mushrooms

If you’ve got too many mushrooms to use in a timely manner, freezing them is preferable to refrigerate them. Always wash and cook your mushrooms before freezing them. You may portion and freeze your mushrooms after they have been fully cooked in an airtight container or double bagged in resealable plastic bags.

For the most delicious flavor, vacuum seal or flash freeze cooked mushrooms before placing them in the freezer.

How To Tell If Mushrooms Have Gone Bad

Hopefully, you’ve found out how to keep your mushrooms as fresh as possible by storing them correctly. Sadly, there is no way to stop the passage of time; all mushrooms will eventually spoil like all things in life. The length of time it takes varies depending on a variety of factors including the manufacturer and location of your refrigerator, storage method, altitude, and more.

Signs of a Rotten Mushroom

It’s convenient to have a sense of how long mushrooms may last in the refrigerator, but you should also check them for signs of deterioration on a regular basis. The following are some of the warning indicators you should look for:

  • Greasy, slimy texture
  • It has a wrinkly texture.
  • an unpleasant odor

Signs of a Still-Edible Mushroom

Even though they are still edible, some mushrooms exhibit “pre-spoilage,” which means they’re becoming less fresh while remaining safe to eat. Mushrooms at this point should be used or consumed right away; You can also freeze them to extend the shelf life, just be aware once thawed they will continue where they left off. the following signs indicate that they are spoiling:

  • Dark spots are visible on a few items.
  • They seem to be getting much darker than usual.
  • They’ve sat in the fridge for 2 weeks or more

To ensure that your mushrooms are in the best possible condition, use common sense. If your two-week-old mushrooms have a few brown spots but no sliminess or unpleasant smell, they’re likely safe to eat. If you detect any of the following indicators of deterioration, you should avoid consuming them and discard them:

Final Thoughts

Mushrooms are one of the most popular and exciting ingredients in the world to cook with and consume, whether they’re from across cultures or not. They’re only delicious when they’re at their freshest, juiciest condition.

If you’re thinking about buying mushrooms at the supermarket, don’t be scared. You may eat as many mushrooms as you want if you follow the best practices for purchasing and consuming mushrooms outlined above.

Bonus FAQ

mushrooms smell fishy?

The characteristic smell of stale mushrooms is generally a putrid odor. Fresh mushrooms should have a pleasant, earthy aroma. If they smell fishy or pungent after sniffing them, it’s time to toss them as they may have gone bad.

mushrooms grow mold?

Mold is a normal growth that can be found on mushrooms. It’s safe to cut away the area where the mold grew, but avoid eating it as you could ingest spores that are harmful when living inside your digestive system. It’s better to just toss the whole thing in the trash.

Can old mushrooms make you sick?

Yes. A study published by the New York State Department of Health recommends tossing any mushrooms after 10 days if they are stored at 40 degrees Fahrenheit. To be on the safe side, avoid consuming them even if there is no mold present and you’re confident that they do not smell bad.

Eating an expired mushroom can cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and other symptoms.

mushrooms are poisonous?

Only some types of mushrooms are poisonous enough to kill you. If you’re unsure about what kind of mushroom you have or how safe it is for consumption, do not eat it as it may contain toxic substances that can induce serious illness. The most common causes of mushroom poisoning is either by ingestion or inhalation.

What to do with old mushrooms?

If they’ve gone bad:

  • Throw them away
  • Add them to the compost bin

If they are still good:

  1. The classic example is the roast chicken stuffed with mushrooms.
  2. At the same time, you can create a pithivier with leeks, cheese, and mushrooms.
  3. My personal favorite dish was Moran’s stuffed mushrooms.
  4. a knish made with mushrooms
  5. A delicious mushroom pie.
  6. All day pan-cooked breakfast.

Leave a Comment